Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sing Our National Anthem the Right Way

Let's just take a moment to talk about our National Anthem. Who gave anyone the right to sing that song in some way other than the way it was written? I'm getting sick of the way various artists mangle that beautiful song. It is so perfect the way it was originally composed.

So I'm writing about this tonight even though it's been going on for a long time. That's because I think I just heard the worst rendition of our National Anthem I have ever heard. Franki Valle sang it at the Fiesta Bowl and it made me want to puke. We're supposed to sing along, but it was impossible to do so with all of his antics and attempts at falsetto manipulations of the notes. I hardly recognized it and from the look of the people sitting behind them, they didn't either. Most looked as if they were choking on grizzled meat. No one was singing along.

Isn't there a bowl committee assigned with the duty of selecting the singers and don't they go through some kind of audition process? And when these comitte members hear the artists who seem to be singing the Togo national anthem rather than our own, don't they say, "sorry, try again next year?"

Or maybe these artists pretend to sing it the standard way for the audition and then secretly spring their own version on the public during the actual event. There should be a fine for this sort of effrontery.

In any case, I'm sick of it. Is there anyone out there who likes it? Any of the four of you who are regularly reading my blog...please speak out. When I get a bigger following I'll take polls with a button you can click. For now, I can just tally your votes. Please let me know what you think about this complete deviation from the traditional composition of our National Anthem.

Thanks and good night.

No comments: